1)take a rain check改天吧
Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
——Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭好吗?)
——I'm up to my ears in work, so I'll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)
2)lost count弄不清楚
Model: [2000.1.(21)]
——Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。一周去几次啊?)
——I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)
3)be in another world精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model: [1996.5.(25)]
——Pete's really out of it these days.(Pete这几天有点心不在焉。)
——Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he's been in another world.(我同意。自从他遇见Ann,他就魂不守舍了。)
4)make yourself at home随意,随便
Model: [1999.8.(7)]
——Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脱下夹克吗?)
——Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不介意,随意一点!)
5)save your breath省口气吧;别白费口舌了
Model: [1995.10.(14)]
——Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
——Save your breath. He's out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)
6)make sense有意义,理解 Model: [1999.1.(29)]
——The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节很难跟得上。)
——It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
7)cost sb. an arm and a leg非常昂贵