1.1 Why study language?
1. Language is very esential to human beings.
2. In language there are many things we should know.
3. For further understanding, we need to study language scientifically.
1.2 What is language?
Language is a means of verbal communication. It is a system of arbitrary voca ...
1、As modern linguistics aims to describe and analyze the language people actually use, and not to lay down rules for correct linguistic behavior, it is said to be ___.
A、 prescriptive B、 sociolinguistic C、 descriptive D、 psycholinguistic
2、Of all the speech organs, the ___ i ...
Chapter 1 Introductions to Linguistics
I. Choose the best answer. (20%)
1. Language is a system of arbitrary vocal symbols used for human
A. contact B. communication C. relation D. community
2. Which of the following words is entirely arbitrary? ...
A Course on Linguistics for Students of English
School of Foreign Studies, SCNU
The Goals for this Course
n To get a scientific view on language;
n To understand some basic theories on linguistics;
n To understand the applications of the linguistic theories, especially in the ...